It is so common that it’s importance is often neglected. There are few important points to remember:
- Any major changes in severity of headaches needs to be investigated.
- Any new major headaches needs to be investigated.
- Ongoing use of pain killers can cause analgesic rebound headache.
- Headaches can be secondary to other conditions like high blood pressure, stress, neck injuries, infections, etc. It is important to be thoroghly examined to rule out these conditions.
- Migrain headaches need to be treated by preventative medications first or along with abortive pain killers to control the pain.
- Don’t let your headaches become chronic before you see your doctor.
- Proper sleep, relaxation, daily exercise and proper diet are essential components of prevention and treatment of headaches.